Education in China   Study in China   Contact Us 


Foreign students education in New China began in 1950 and has developed a lot during the recent years. According to statistics, more than 41,000 within the 1995-1996 academic year foreign students of all types come from 125 countries and regions China including trainees focusing on languages, undergraduates, postgraduates, doctoral students, common trainees, advanced trainees, scholars who conduct research and participants of all kinds of short-term training courses.

Universities in China employ distinctive teaching and training methods in line with different conditions of the foreign students.

Languages trainees: Those who are with the equal of or above the degree of high

school graduates learning Chinese languages. Usually the courses last 1 or 2 years. Training certificates ere conferred available after the course work is finished. Undergraduates: The course work is completed in 4-5 years in accordance with China's education system and educational planning for Chinese undergraduates. Lectures for international students are given together with native Chinese students. Some selected courses are cancelled while other courses are specially added in accordance to distinct conditions of foreign students. Bachelor’s degree will be received after necessary examinations are passed and graduation theses are finished.

Postgraduates: The course is completed in 2-3 years in line with China's education system and education planning for Chinese postgraduates. The students will receive a Master’s degree after they finish formulated courses, pass examinations accomplish postgraduate theses and successfully hold oral graduation examinations under the direction of tutors in line with the educating plan.

Doctoral students: The education is conducted 3 years in accordance with China's education system and education planning for Chinese doctoral students. The students will receive a doctorate after they finish formulated courses, pass examinations, accomplish doctoral graduation paper and the theses with the training plan under the direction of tutors.

Common Trainees: The foreign students taking refresher courses may choose to have classes together with Chinese students or have courses separately according to the subjects The training term lasts 1 or 2 years. Refresher certificates will be awarded after examinations or tests are passed.

Advanced trainees: A tutor will be assigned to direct the research work and university authorities will arrange social surveys and visits concerned with research subject as determined ahead of time in accordance with research subjects. The research term lasts 1 or 2 years. Refresher certificates are awarded after the refresher plan is accomplished.

Research scholars: In line with a researched subject, a tutor will be assigned by the university authorities even though the research work is mainly done by the scholars independently. Related surveys and visits will be confirmed and arranged ahead of time. The research term is determined in accordance with the needs of research.

Foreign students are encouraged to work toward postgraduates and doctoral degrees in Chinese universities, and those who have graduated in China are welcome to return for further education. Courses conducted directly by foreign languages are available for these students in some universities.

    Chinese Version
[Embassy of Finland in China]
[The China Scholarship Council(CSC)]

With the consignment of the State Education Commission, conducting the enrollment and administration of foreign students to China who enjoy scholarships by the Chinese Government, and dealing with the applications of those who are sent to study in China by foreign academic and educational organizations, non-governmental friendship teams or organizations.
[The Ministry of Education (MoE)]

Formulating basic principles, policies, regulations and measures for the work concerning nationwide foreign students affairs, and coordinating, directing and administrating in general the work of nationwide foreign students affairs.
[China Service Center for Scholarly Exchanges (CSCSE)]

Providing consultation and other kinds of services for foreign students who plan to study in China.
[Colleges & Universities]

Education office of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Finland
Kuusiniementie 1D , 00340, Helsinki, Finland